<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Friday, February 17, 2006

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya 


The latest kerfuffle-in-a-box at the Olympics is that Johnny Weir is taking heat from the gay community for not talking about his sexual orientation. An openly gay former skater is also criticizing the media for not, um, probing him on the issue.

Let's be real, here. If Mr. Weir had been caught with a woman, even a bobsledder, that would have been news.

He's not hiding anything. Anyone with doubts about about his orientation really ought to get out more than once a decade.

Of course it's always possible that we have a Lyle Billup situation here, but when he calls himself 'princessy' and his major problem is that his Olympic Village room is 'underdecorated', I think we can put that away.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool of him not to be bullied by the Gender Police. He's an out-there kid who's been wearing jewelry since he was six years old, but he decides what he talks about. He had a bad night last night on the ice, but he blamed no one but himself. I started off being irritated by him, as I am with all self-dramatising people. But I admire the way he handled the 'controversy' and I admire the way he dealt with his performance. Tough little dude.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares