<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Les Mallomars Sont Arrives! 



The lady on the left is packing Mallomars on a blissful day in the '50s.

Apparently, there are a lot of things I didn't know about Mallomars.

For instance, they were once as Jersey as Taylor Ham. Their roots are in West Hoboken (now Union City).

They're still made by the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco), but today the Nation is Canada.

They're only sold from October to April as the delicate, natural chocolate can't be shipped to the makers' satisfaction during the summer. Not sure I buy that one, but this article in today's Times (from which I stole the title of this post) claims that, especially in the New York area, where 70% of the puffy little hockey pucks are consumed, their arrival causes an annual flutter among the connoisseurs.

People have opinions about Mallomars.

There are recipes.

I'll tell you the truth, though; I remember them from when I was a kid, but I didn't like them then and I wouldn't trade an Oreo for ten of them now. Kind of like Smores dug up from a pyramid.

I'd pay cash money for that lady's Mallomars Tiara, though.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares