<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Sunday, June 12, 2005

What We Did Last Night 

Lane went to a 40th reunion of her 8th grade class last night. I never heard of such a thing, but I guess they do those kind of things when you go to a school named Nightingale-Bamford. I spent eighth grade at Twinbrook Elementary Extension. There's no web site. And I haven't heard any plans for a reunion. If there was one it would probably be here.

Anyway, there's nothing like going to a reunion and being the skinniest person there, so she's a happy camper this morning.

As a result, I got to take Grace to see a show last night.

Let me recommend, first of all, for those with progeny still in the house, The New Victory Theater on the Deuce. It's in the old Victory Theatre, before that the Belasco Theatre, before that something else. It saw duty as a XXX house in the seventies and eighties. But it's a beautiful restoration and the place is a real gem.

And this outfit really does it well. They put on great shows at reasonable prices and every aspect of it, from reservations to customer support to getting in and getting out is smooth and easy.

Normally I can take New Circus or leave it alone and that goes for Cirque du Soleil, too. Very precious, very airy-fairy, far too meaningful for what I think of as an experience that needs (aside from good acts) only a little sense of threat and panic and lewdness to be successful. Just a bunch of Canadians and Swiss with an unlimited art budget. But that's just me.

The show last night was an example of the genre called Rain. It was all the things I complained about above (throw in a couple Belgians and Americans) but I had a great time and so did Grace. The circus acts were tremendous and there were a couple the likes of which I've never seen before. But it was done with a sweetness and humor that was (what all these shows are going for) disarming. I was disarmed. And amazed. And amused.

And the last twenty minutes was done under a rain storm on stage. You don't see that every day.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares