<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Monday, June 27, 2005

Down The Shore 

When I was in high school I lived just a mile or two from downtown Point Pleasant and I was always interested in the building at the corner of River and Arnold Avenue, though I didn't know why.

Perhaps I sensed it had a past.
Near the turn of the century, Arnold Hall served as
a political and social center. The mayor's office, the
jail and fire engines occupied the ground floor. One
flight up, vaudeville actors performed on stage, silent
movies played on screen and fraternal organizations,
including the Ku Klux Klan, held clandestine
ceremonies behind doors with shielded peep holes.
According to a story in the Asbury Park Press linked to above, the owner allowed the local historical society to sponsor two open houses at the building. He's probably going to redevelop the site as condos.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares