<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Second Thoughts, Gary's Had Them 

I often worry that I've put too much personal information out there on this site. Many bloggers maintain anonymity or at least much better control over what gets released into this sometimes dangerous global neighborhood. They sacrifice a certain amount of touch with their readers, a lot of blogging material and some amount of flexibility and depth in their approach to subjects, but they don't have to worry about the world coming crashing down on them, either.

For me, the whole point of this is twofold. First to relearn how to write by constant practice, and, second, to tell my story. When you're young you need to tell your story because you don't really have one yet and most people come to have one by telling it. You don't even realize there are themes to your life until you start to narrate them. There comes a point in your life when you have to tell your story because you're forgetting it. That's where I am. And that is what has been so interesting and satisfying about Sluggo Needs a Nap. If ever I become uncomfortable with any attention I've attracted I'll shut this down and open up down the street as Have a Cuppa With Aunt Mildred. But, of course, by that time it may be too late.

Having said that I think I can safely say I'm in no danger of the kind of scandale de blog experienced by Gary Brolsma, another Jersey guy who had an indiscreet web-based moment. If you haven't seen or heard about his Numa-Numa dance, there was actually a story about it in the New York Times the other day. He web-cammed himself lip-synching to a Rumanian pop song, someone linked it and now he's the latest world wide dufuss. At first he enjoyed doing interviews on CNN and VH1, but it looks like he became a little more aware of the 'laughing with me or laughing at me' problem and went to his room and stayed there. I've seen versions of this tape tricked up with images and photoshops and loops that leave little doubt on the 'with/at' question.

Here's the tape. See if you agree with me; I'm definitely 'laughing with'. I think there's something very appealing about what he does. At a certain point the audio and video gets out of synch, but that's the way it went out there.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares