<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Do You Believe in Magic? 

I just finished watching a replay of the U.S./U.S.S.R. hockey game at the 1980 Olympics on ESPN. Yudus Priest, it was just as exciting as I remember it. The fact is, the U.S. team was a good deal better than anyone knew (there were six or seven solid NHL careers on that team) and the Soviets that year were a little weaker than anyone knew, but the last 10 minutes were about as good as hockey can get.

Previously I've acknowledged one of the five dumbest things I've done in my life (selling a 1953 Hudson) and I'm now going to acknowledge another. I had a ticket to that game. I sold it for what seemed to me the no-brainer price of $350. I was part of a repertory company in Lake Placid on a LORT contract from 1978 to 1980. The whole idea of the company was to be the American theatrical representatives to the world, but at the last moment the Long Wharf was brought in and we were dissolved. It wasn't a matter of us not being good enough (we did a production of Scapino that was gangbusters), it was just the way things work out sometimes. I saw that $350 as a kind of payback and it was. Just not the way I thought.

And the very worst part is, I probably could have gotten at least $500.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares