<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Slippery Slope, Ho, Ho, Ho 

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the "Holiday Season" a chance to get in touch with my inner curmudgeon. I'm the only one I know, and much, much more importantly, the only one Grace knows, who doesn't have his tree up already. We always put it up Christmas Eve. I'm not saying it's better that way or that there is anything decadant in putting it up before the turkey in the tupperware turns to naugahide, I'm just saying that's the way I've always done it and I like it that way.

Retailers have made the decision that Christmas starts around 6:30 am the day after Thanksgiving, and that's fine. Except that they make it very hard, especially for a house containing a seven year old, to make a different decision. This year we're putting it up on the weekend before Christmas and I can't say I'm happy about it. The only upside is that the tree sellers, sensibly enough, follow the lead of the retailers, and waiting until December 23rd may leave me with a grim sense of satisfaction, but it also leaves me with a selection of nasty, sorry-assed, browning stumps. The up side for my family is I'll probably shut up about this as soon as we get our tree.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares