<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Ronald Reagan 

Ronald Reagan made me a Republican. Not his most memorable accomplishment, perhaps, except that there were hundreds of thousands like me. I wish W had a little more Ronnie in him, and, for that matter, I wish Reagan had been more of a budget hawk, but I know that going on twenty years since he left office, most people still have no real appreciation for the magnitude of his achievements. Not just vanquishing the Evil Empire, not just taking a miserable country on his back and giving it a life again, but patiently, relentlessly communicating to thousands of clueless schmucks like me that there is another side to the argument, that values and ideals are forged, not merely dropped damply from the foam-flecked mouths of graduate assistants. He wasn't always right and he wasn't always wise, but he was a leader, an honest man and thoroughly decent. I wish his last ten years could have been better, because we needed him.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares