<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Thursday, February 12, 2004

If You Weren't Offended, the Hell With You 

Here's the template for public apologies: "My actions were insensitive and inexcusable. I apologize to all who were offended." Or, even more weasely, "I apologize if anyone was offended." It's really beginning to grate.

If your actions were insensitive and inexcusable (or reprehensible or careless or thoughtless or cruel or satanic or genocidal) your apology is only triggered by the hurt feelings of others. If no one has twisted buns your actions have no ethical consequences, or at least none that require contrition. This is pussy-penance. I would just love to hear a politician or sports figure get up and just say "I was wrong. I'm sorry," and half-way look like they mean it.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares