<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Drooling on the Pillow

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Prayer 

I'm not a religious person, nor in any real sense a spiritual person. Never have been. I was raised a Presbyterian. The only grandfather I knew was a stern and thunderously righteous man and I make that statement in an utterly irony-free way. He was a good, loving and endlessly generous man, but rigid and 19th century in his religious views. He died, I think in 1984 at the age of 97. My mother and youngest brother have become more Pentecostal and conservative as the years have gone by. My other brother has also gotten more religious as he has gotten older, but belongs to a very much more liberal denomination. My older sister is much like me, I think, though we haven't talked in years.

I've always yearned for faith, but haven't found it. There have been short periods over the years when I have attended (usually Catholic) church but only because I was unbearably lonely.

My point is that for the past couple of years I've said a prayer virtually every time I've gone through the Lincoln Tunnel on my way to work. I ask for protection for my wife and daughter and for forgiveness for my lack of faith. It's a daily Hegel moment, but I cannot enter the tunnel without it.

Update 11/14
Did I mean Kant? Does anyone know? I Googled it, but found nothing.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares